If you open an promotional email after reading their creative subject line, then it is a successful email marketing campaign for that particular brand. Many a times, email marketing is considered as an easy task but with from the objectives, CTAs, copy to design, all of it takes more than just a digital marketing certification. Here’s a complete guide on email marketing and how it can help you increase your return on investment.
Basics of Email Marketing
Email marketing is one of the most effective marketing channels. It is a cost-effective way to reach potential customers and it provides a high level of customer engagement.Along with the correct email marketing tools and resources, you can create an effective email marketing campaign.
Email marketing is a type of marketing that uses email to send messages about products and services. It can be an effective way to reach customers, but only if you know the right words to use.
The following is a list of some common email marketing jargon:
- Open Rate– Open rate is the percentage of recipients who open a marketing email.
- Unsubscribe Rate– The unsubscribe rate is the number of people who have opted out of a list, inbox, or email.
- Click Through Rate– Click Through Rate is a measure of how many people open the emails you send to them.
- Forward Rate– Forward Rate is a term used in email marketing to describe the number of emails that have been sent and received by an account.
- Bounce Rate– Bounce rate is a metric that is used to measure the percentage of email recipients who have opened the email and then immediately closed it.
What are the Different Types of Emails?
The email marketing industry is a $50 billion dollar industry that is expected to grow at a rate of 10% yearly. There are several types of emails that companies send out to their customers and prospects
- Promotional Mails-Promotional emails are used for marketing purposes and to promote a brand or company.
- Newsletters– Newsletters are used to provide information on new products or services while promotions send messages that encourage users to take an action such as clicking on a link or downloading an app.
- Lead Generation Mails– It is a marketing strategy that includes sending emails to potential leads with the purpose of generating business opportunities.
- Customer Support Mails– Customer support emails are an important part of email marketing. They help in building relationships with customers and increase customer satisfaction. Some customer support emails are interactive, some are just informative, and some can be both. The type of email depends on the purpose of the email marketing campaign.
How to Write Compelling and Engaging Email Subject Lines?
There are many ways to write compelling and engaging email subject lines. However, there are a few that are most effective in terms of engagement and click-through rates.
The first way is to use the words that people want to hear. For example, if you’re writing an email about a sale, use words like “50% off” or “last chance.” Another way is to include a call-to-action phrase such as “get your hands on this.” Lastly, you can use the word “free” in the subject line if your offer is free or discounted.
Subject lines with these three components have been shown to generate twice as many clicks as those without them.
Email spam is one of the most common issues that email marketers face. They have to constantly monitor their email campaigns for possible spammy subject lines and make sure that they are not sending emails with these subject lines to their subscribers.
How Much Does Email Marketing Cost?
Email marketing is a cost-effective and scalable way to reach your target audience. It is also an effective way to build relationships with your customers, retain customers, and generate sales.
Email marketing cost varies depending on the type of email campaign. Here are some examples of email marketing campaigns that can be done for $500 or less:
- A newsletter campaign with a mailing list of 1,000 people
- A customer appreciation campaign
- An event announcement campaign
- A lead generation campaign
Benefits of Email Marketing for Businesses
Email marketing has proven to be a highly effective marketing tool for businesses. It helps them in reaching their customers and creating brand awareness.
There are many benefits of email marketing for businesses, but the most important ones are:
- It is a low-cost and highly scalable form of advertising.
- It can be used to build relationships with your customers.
- It is easy to manage and track the results of your campaigns.
We know by now how cost-effective and scalable email marketing is once you put the correct tools and resources in place. Hope this email marketing guide can help you kick start your first ever email marketing campaign.
Founder and CEO at IIDE
Apart from being an Edu-Preneur, Tedx Speaker and a Black Coffee connoisseur, Karan Shah is also the founder of IIDE- The Digital School.
A Harvard alumnus, Karan’s expertise lies in digital marketing and Ecommerce. A storyteller at heart, he has penned plenty of articles in leading news portals such as Entrepreneur, BusinessWorld, Education Times, and Youth Magazine to name a few.