An ear cuff is a piece of jewellery worn around the ear. They are typically crafted using different metals and are frequently embellished with gems. Pearl, rubies, and Diamond ear cuff are very popular. It can be worn on the ear’s upper or lower portion. They might have a symbolic purpose in addition to being used as a fashion piece. Although ear cuffs are often worn as a single piece, some people wear several at once.
A little history
Since ancient times, people have used ear cuffs for therapeutic and ornamental reasons. Their origins can be found in ancient Egypt, where Pharaohs used them to keep insects out of their ears. Ear cuffs were utilised in Egpyt to keep hair out of the ears.
Another history of ancient Greece goes as follows. The initial purpose of ear cuffs was to protect against loud noises. They are still widely employed in music in various genres and as a technique to shield ears from loud noises. It was also used to keep the ears warm during the winter.
It is also said that Hippocrates began recommending ear cuffs to patients with ear infections in the sixth century BC, which marked the beginning of ear cuff use as a medical device.
Variety and Style
There are many different ear cuffs, from elegantly plain to lavishly embellished. Though expensive ear cuffs made of gold and silver, are available, you can select non-metal materials like leather. You can choose an ear cuff to fit any ear size because they come in various sizes.
Further, how much skin of the ear is embellished will depend on the ear cuff’s size. The ear cuff’s shape will also impact how it rests against the ear. Traditionally ear cuffs often come in three shapes: circular, oval, or triangular. However, there are many other shapes available now.
Both ears are used to wear ear cuff. Although many ladies prefer to wear their cuffs on the left, men often wear earrings on the left ear. The right ear can be worn by either gender and has no particular significance.
To ensure that your ear cuffs complement your entire style, it is critical to select the appropriate style. Depending on the occasion, you might choose a subtler ear cuff or one that stands out significantly.
Guide on how to wear it
- Find the thinnest part of the cartilage of the ear and the upper portion to slip the open end of the ear cuff around it. This means one end of the cuff must be behind the eat, and the other should be in the front.
- If the ear cuff with an earring attached, separate it. After positioning the ear cuff as above, you can join it later, just like it is done with a regular earring.
- Looking at the mirror, you can adjust if the chain is too tight or loose. To adjust, the cuff can be slid up or down according to your comfort.
- Always eye the chain to check whether it is twisted in shape. Before you tighten the cuff, ensure it is rightly placed.
- Handle it gently whenever you make the necessary adjustments.
Mostly, celebrities opt to wear this stylish piece of jewellery even with their modern outfits. Common people also wear it as it is not only available as a gold or Diamond ear cuff but are also manufactured with other affordable metals.
Thus, these are some of the vital information about an ear cuff. Though it had different origins in the past, it is now popular worldwide.