Digital marketing, also referred to as simply online marketing, is indeed the advertising of companies using the web and other forms of digital interaction in an attempt to attract potential customers. This includes not just email, social networks, and internet advertising, but also SMS and multimedia messaging as another marketing platform.
With the majority of the planet now communicating largely digitally, digital marketing has become an important arena for companies to tackle.
10 Basic But Important Strategies You Should Know
Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization or SEO is the science and art of enabling web pages to improve their search engine rankings. It is the application of strategies that will help the search engine recognize the relevance of web pages from the keywords being used during the search.
SEO is an important part of the strategy in digital marketing. Since search is among the most popular methods for people to get content and information online, ranking better in search engines will lead to even more website traffic.
There are three basic processes that a search engine does:
- Crawling: The search engine searches the internet for content and examines the code/content for each URL they come across.
- Indexing: It is the process of storing and organizing the content discovered during the crawling process. When a webpage is submitted to the indexes, it’ll be evaluated if it’s legible for display in response to relevant requests.
- Ranking: The search engine generates the results based on their relevance from the keyword used. The results are sorted from most relevant to the least significant.
Understanding how the search engine algorithms work will help put your strategies in place. And while SEO evolves in indirect aspects on a routine basis, its fundamental principles stay consistent. So we may categorize SEO under three primary components or cornerstones that you ought to be mindful of and employ on a daily basis:
- Technical Optimization: This is the act of executing actions on your website that have nothing to do with material but are meant to improve SEO. It happens a lot behind the curtains.
- On-page Optimization: This is the method of guaranteeing that the information on your site is accessible and delivers a great user interaction. It requires employing a content administration system to identify the relevant keywords within your article. Content administration systems include Drupal, Wix, WordPress, Joomla, Shopify, Expression Engine, and Magento.
- Off-page Optimization: This is the technique of increasing your website’s search rankings by participating in actions that occur beyond it. Backlinks, particularly, are helpful in building the site’s popularity and play an important role.
To improve the user experience, search engines frequently alter their algorithms to give the best answers for inquiries possible. This entails prioritizing the sites with the highest quality and relevance. Understanding what to do to get any business, site, or institution noticed by users despite these updates is fundamental for any marketer. Recognizing the ways SEO is developing can keep you ahead of the competition.
Email marketing includes newsletters that provide business information and also product promotion and unique deals for members. Apart from purchase confirmations and personal replies to consumer inquiries, any email sent by a company may be considered email marketing. This is a subcategory of online marketing, which encompasses, among many other aspects, site, social networks, and content marketing.
In the social media age, it’s tempting to disregard emails. However, data suggest that it remains important. Consumers are more likely to recognize an email over social media. Emails have a huge advantage over media platforms in this regard. Only because you publish things on social networking sites doesn’t imply it may be seen by everyone who wants to view it. Any email, au contraire, will stay in a recipient’s mailbox until it has been read or possibly deleted.
In principle, email marketing and social media should complement each other. Including “Like” or “Share” buttons from social networks in your marketing emails provides customers another chance to connect with your organization. Consumers can be drawn to your newsletters by posts on social media, and bits of positive feedback from followers on social media can be included in emails.
Social Media Marketing
Social networking includes posting content from your site, releasing images and clips of your goods, products, and company on social networking sites, and connecting with fresh and existing customers.
Publishing was the beginning of social media marketing. Businesses were using social media to promote their content in order to drive traffic to their websites and, perhaps, sales. However, social media has evolved into much more than a platform for disseminating information. There are 5 pillars in social media marketing that need to be built in order to succeed.
- Strategy: What role does social media play in achieving your business objectives? Some businesses use social networks to promote brand recognition, whereas others employ it to boost website leads and revenue. Social media may also assist you to develop a network around your brand and act as a medium of communication for your clients.
- Planning and publishing: Sharing a blog post, an image, or a video on a social media site is all it takes to publish to social media. It’s exactly like what you’d do on your personal Facebook page. However, rather than developing and publishing content on the spur of the moment, you should plan ahead of time. You must also create quality content that your audience enjoys at the proper time and frequency to ensure that you are maximizing your social media reach.
- Listening and engagement: You can manually check all of your social media notifications, but this is inefficient, and you won’t see posts that don’t include your company’s social media profile. Instead, utilize a social media listening and engagement platform that collects all of your social media mentions and messages, including postings that aren’t tagged with your company’s social media account.
- Analytics: You’ll want to know how your digital marketing is performing along the process, whether you’re publishing content or engaging on social media. Are you reaching out to more individuals on social media this month than you were last month? In a month, how many good remarks do you get? How many people utilized the hashtag for your brand in their social media posts?
- Advertising: Nowadays, social media advertising systems are so sophisticated that you can target your adverts to specific people. You may target people based on their demographics, interests, and activities, among other things. If you’re running many social media marketing campaigns at the same time, you may utilize any social media marketing tool like graphic maker to execute mass changes, automate procedures, and improve your advertisements.
Affiliate marketing is a marketing strategy wherein a company compensates third-party media for sending visitors or prospects to its services and goods. Affiliates are third-party publications that are paid a commission to create new methods to promote the firm.
The primary benefit of having an affiliate program is that it is totally dependent on performance. Affiliates are more driven to drive the conversion you’re seeking because they’re only paid a commission if the desired action has occurred. This eliminates any traffic-generating activities that are of little or no value to your business, while also ensuring that you get what you pay for.
Nowadays, affiliates may be located in practically any industry or business area. There’ll always be relevant websites with which to connect. The excellent thing is that most of these partners will have currently a sizable following. These alliances enable you to enter new areas that you would not have received the means to investigate alone, or to completely dominate your current market segments, giving your company a far stronger digital presence.
Pay-per-click advertising is a kind of digital marketing strategy wherein marketers are billed a fee every time someone clicks on the links they advertise. Search engine marketing is among the most prevalent sorts of PPC. When someone searches for a keyword relating to their company offering, it allows advertisers to bid for ad placement in a search engine’s sponsored links.
The Pay-Per-Click digital marketing strategy revolves around keywords. Advertisers benefit from the technique since it enables them to target a particular demographic that is constantly seeking comparable material. Moreover, considering the worth of each prospective client visit (click) outweighs the price of the click charged to publishers, a well-constructed PPC ad campaign enables a marketer to conserve a large amount of revenue.
Influencer marketing relies on product recommendations and references from influencers with a significant social presence who are considered authorities in their industry. Influencer marketing occurs since influencers have such a high degree of credibility with their audience, and their suggestions serve as social evidence to potential clients of your company.
Influence marketing is growing in popularity, and more people are dreaming of becoming successful influencers.
Some people go so far as to buy likes and/or subscribers. This has piqued the interest of consumers and brands, who are now wary. Simultaneously, the Key Opinion Leader profile, which originated in China, appears to be gaining traction in the realm of Marketing Influence.
What are the benefits of influencer marketing?
Let’s look at some of the advantages of employing influencer marketing to see if it’s something you should prioritize for your small business.
- In order to make a purchasing decision, 49% of customers rely on the recommendations of influencers. Taking advantage of this gives a significant potential for your company to boost sales and reach relevant customers.
- Building relationships takes a bit of time, and moments pass considerably more quickly for small businesses than it does for larger enterprises. However, the fastest approach to create trust is to ensure that your customers perceive your small business as genuine.
- Spending money on marketing and not seeing an increase in sales is a waste of money. Fortunately, influencer marketing is a tremendously effective strategy. For every dollar spent on influencer marketing, brands receive $5.78 in return.
Content marketing is a digital marketing strategy that aims to create and disseminate relevant, valuable content to current and potential customers, such as blogs, social media posts, emails, newsletters, videos, and the more. When done effectively, this material conveys competence and suggests that a company appreciates the people for whom it offers.
Consistent use of content marketing helps to create and develop connections with existing and future consumers. When your target audience perceives your company as a collaborator that values their progress and a valuable source of information and guidance, they are much more likely to purchase from you.
Why does content marketing matter?
Content marketing is a tried-and-true marketing strategy. It also gives you a competitive advantage. Take a look at the following stats about content marketing:
- Blogs generate 67% more leads than non-blogging businesses.
- Before speaking with a marketing professional, 47 percent of buyers review three to five pieces of content.
- Companies that use content marketing grow at a rate of around 30% faster than those that do not.
- 72% of B2B marketers feel that content advertising enhances interaction and lead creation.
What are the benefits of content marketing
- Increased brand affinity, in which customers care about and share a company’s or brand’s values, is among the most valuable benefits of content marketing.
- One of the most appealing aspects of remarketing is the ability to create unique audience groups based on nearly any criterion. Behavioral signifiers can be really useful when it pertains to content, particularly if you’re segregating your database based on intention or converting funnel stages.
Video marketing could help with everything from building customer rapport to advertising your company, activities, or goods. Video marketing may likewise be employed to demonstrate how-tos, boost customer feedback, streaming services, and spread viral (entertaining) content.
What are the benefits of video marketing?
- According to HubSpot, putting video on a landing page can increase conversions by as much as 80%!
- A video in an email increases the click-through rate by 200-300 percent, which is a startling amount. But, in most circumstances, you can’t dispute that watching a video is more convenient than sitting and reading text, right?
- Content that engages viewers is what search engines are looking for. Nothing entices more page visits and stays on the page longer than a video.
- Video is a wonderful way to humanize your organization and business, enabling you to engage with your viewers and gain their confidence. Product videos are said to be useful in the decision-making process by 90% of users.
- This is the age of viral videos, with 92 percent of mobile video viewers sharing videos with their friends. This is your opportunity to have some fun while still demonstrating what your organization is all about.
A means of attracting the audience of a website, social media platform, or other digital medium to execute a certain action is display advertising. These are typically composed of text-based, image-based, or video advertisements that persuade users to visit a landing page and take action. Normally, you would need to employ manual photo editing or professional picture editors to give your images the best appearances you can give them, but you can also employ certain background remover for marketing to save you time and effort!
The bulk of display and internet advertising strategies are cost-per-click (CPC). Such that, whenever a visitor on a web browser clicks upon your banner, you will indeed be paid a fee depending on your total bidding price.
What are the types of display ads?
- Banner ads: Banner ads are one of the oldest and most traditional forms of advertising, appearing at the top of web pages in a banner template or format.
- Interstitial ads: Following watching these advertisements, which seem like websites, users are redirected to the actual site they sought.
- Rich media: Interactive elements such as video, music, and clickable elements are included in these advertising.
- Video ad: Marketers now enjoy a new avenue to pursue due to YouTube’s marketing platform, along with social media sites such as Facebook and Instagram. Video advertisements enable you to socialize with your target viewer on a more personal basis, and they are well profitable.
What are the benefits of display advertising?
- Display advertising comes in a variety of sizes and forms. They can also be displayed in a variety of forms, as you can see above. This means you can pick an advertising style and format that will assist you to achieve your objectives.
- You may access millions of sites directly from your Google Ads account thanks to the Google Display Network (GDN).
- You may also target the proper audience by placing your adverts on the right websites, thanks to GDN’s vast reach. This includes demographic and geo-targeting, as well as your target audience’s special interests.
- Google Ads helps measure clicks, engagements, and transactions, while Google Analytics could even analyze engagement and performance more precisely.
Mobile marketing has become an omni-channel content marketing strategy that aims to contact a specific audience through sites, email, MMS and SMS, social networks, and applications on their tablets, phones, and various other mobile devices. Customers have begun to transfer their attention (and expenditures) to mobile in recent years. As a result, marketers are following suit in order to achieve real multichannel engagement. Marketing is becoming more fragmented while technology grows increasingly dispersed. Content must also be strategic and highly tailored in order to gain and maintain the attention of potential buyers.
What are the types of mobile marketing?
- SMS Marketing: It is a marketing method in which companies send short text messages to potential customers.
- Mobile internet marketing: Mobile marketing is another term for mobile Internet marketing. It is a method that entails the usage of cell phones and the internet.
- Application marketing: App development is a company’s technique of connecting with its clients. Some apps are available for download for no cost.
- Mobile games: Companies are also beginning to develop various types of mobile games that customers can download right to their phones. Different marketing messages are embedded in the downloaded mobile games, enticing consumers to visit the company’s website or the game developer’s website.
- Barcode/QR: These are codes that allow mobile phone users to quickly acquire any information by simply utilizing their phones.
What are the benefits of mobile marketing?
Today, a big portion of the public accesses the internet via a mobile device instead of desktops and laptops. The portability feature of a mobile phone allows a person to connect to the internet from any place and at any given time. The growing population of smartphones and internet users is driving a new movement in the marketing sector known as mobile advertising.
Nowadays, most individuals spend their time online via their smartphones. They begin and conclude their days on mobile. Some believe that the cell phone is the main thing needed when you get up early in the day and the final thing you use prior to going to bed. This signifies that your page has been accessed more frequently by mobile users than by desktop users. So, in addition to developing and improving your firm, you need to implement a smartphone marketing plan.
In these unusual times of market instability and widespread concern, this can be tough to maintain a concentrated approach. However, adopting digital marketing strategies may help you stay engaged – and current – to your clients, maintain market position, and attract new consumers while weathering the storm.
About the Author:
Yen Pedrajas is an experienced SEO specialist who loves to write and share insights and ideas about social media marketing, digital marketing, and ecommerce trends.
She currently works as the Lead Editor at Removal.AI – a fast growing platform that develops innovation tools and software for ecommerce and marketing automation.